I am very excited to introduce you to the next blogger in our contributor series, Lesley of Blare June. In addition to having killer fashion sense and working as a blogger, she works as a physician specializing in psychiatry. I know you’ll love her 5 fall must haves.
As we enjoy the crisp air on our way to grab our morning pumpkin spice latte, we often turn to our transitional pieces to keep us warm yet fashionable as the weather and trends shift.
Many style blogs and glossy magazines discuss the top staple pieces every woman should buy as seasons change. Although I could list classic items including a structured black blazer, a perfect denim option, a crisp white button down or that quintessential black dress that can take you from day to night, I have decided against it. What I would like to discuss are 5 trends you will see this fall that perhaps not every woman needs but most definitely will want! Need versus want is such a fine line, right?
Below are the 5 items that are trending this season that can elevate your already classic pieces listed above.
1. Duster Coats: Each season the length of a coat tends to vary from cropped to long. If you have been to any popular online shop or trendy boutique, you likely noticed the trend that is the duster coat. Horsemen originally wore this full-length garment in the 1920s to protect their clothing from trail dust and I am excited to have discovered that this style is back. Duster coats have been seen both on and off the runway on some of the most popular trendsetters and influencers. Being 5’2 I was initially nervous to try this trend, as I felt the fabric would swallow me whole. However, after discovering this feminine option in a tailored cut during my recent trip to Zara, I decided that I can very much embrace this trend.
2. Off The Shoulder: The off the shoulder trend was seen everywhere this past season and although I thought that its shining moment had passed, I couldn’t have been more wrong. The off the shoulder look is continuing to trend well into the autumn season in heavier fabrics and knits. Before you pack away your lightweight off the shoulder pieces, perhaps keep your favorite options close. Similar to this top below, even our summer off the shoulder styles may have a few more miles left.
3. Menswear: For me, menswear is always in but this season the trendsetters are in agreement. Personally, I do not think there is any look more sexy or empowering that a button down, blazer, bowtie or trousers. With the upcoming election approaching, this is the year of female empowerment. Grab a crisp white button down from your boyfriend, head to the fabric store and buy a roll of black ribbon and voilà you have accomplished menswear like the true boss that you are!
4. Slip Dress: Similar to the off the shoulder trend, slip dresses have been seen everywhere the past few months. If you have followed any of the most recent fashion weeks or have scrolled Instagram lately, then you have noticed this feminine and delicate trend. Although often in silk-like materials, slip dresses are being sported well into the colder weather. Wear your favorite option under a warm knit or layer over a tee or turtleneck. What I have been noticing lately is that Fall, 2016 is the year of keeping your summer clothes in the forefront and adjusting each piece slightly to be season appropriate.
5. Loafers: Last but not least, loafers and slip-ons have been seen everywhere this season. In keeping with the preppy menswear esthetic, loafers are the perfect shoe option that will take you from your career into your personal life. Although Gucci may be coming in for the win as the most popular option and style, more affordable brands are following along such as Steve Madden, Topshop and Zara.
What trends are you planning to rock this season? I would love to hear in the comments below.
Shop Blare June’s looks: